My name is Amy Glenn and I live in South Florida with my 7-year-old son. We have a 2-year-old male, neutered, vaccinated cat named Sylvester (awesome pictures attached) that I adopted from the Humane Society of Broward County in December 2017. We live in a 6th floor apartment and our cat is currently an indoor cat.
My son and I love Sylvester and he was intended to be a very important forever member of our family. However, from the beginning he has exhibited surprisingly aggressive behaviors (not all the time, but enough that it worried us). So, I took him to the vet and followed her advice. I have tried many methods of working with his surprise attacks at us, clawing, biting etc. Pheromone collar, spray bottle, focused diversion/play, etc. And nothing has helped. He remains at times (not all the time) aggressive and attacks us out of the blue. So far, gratefully, I've been the only one he has really hurt. I've had to see a doctor due to a deep/infected scratch and get on antibiotics for fear of cat scratch fever. I tell you this up front because, sadly, we can fully attest that Sylvester is not a safe cat for any family to have indoors. Yet, we love him!!! Despite this situation, he can be sweet and calm and he is beautiful!!! We don't want to see him euthanized.
Because of the concerns around the cat, especially with regard to my son's safety, I have been trying for the last 10 months to find a new home for him, to no avail. I've emailed dozens of people (family/friends) and asked if anyone would like an outdoor cat who would be an excellent hunter etc. I've reached out to cat sanctuaries only to find they are full. I have made phone calls and sought advice, even from the animal shelter from which we adopted him. I understand euthanizing may be the only option left, but I decided to reach out to you all to see if you can help.
I need to find a new place for him asap. He attacked me again this morning (September 3rd 2019) on my way out the door... just out of the blue from around the corner he jumps up and got my thigh (and I'm 5'9). The scratches from this morning remind me that I really need to work harder to find him a home. I don't want to, shouldn't really, wait another 10 months. What if it were my son? I don't want him hurt.
Can you please take my cat in? Can you find a suitable outdoor home for him?
Please help me out. I don't want to euthanize him. And I feel like there are few options left. Keeping him in our apartment is not an option that I can continue to entertain.